There are lots of developments going on in Suffolk Coastal that will bring new opportunities for work:
- Haven Gateway will need 1,250 people to replace employees that retire or move to other jobs and 165 new employees each year. The Felixstowe South port expansion will create 600 direct jobs and is likely to create another 860 jobs locally in other services.
- Innovation Martlesham is an ambitious project to transform BT’s research and development operation at Adastral Park in the UK’s Eastern Region into an open innovation park. The vision for this research centre is for a sustainable environment that supports a regenerated research and development facility and a residential community of up to 2,000 homes delivering additional educational and social facilities.
- Redevelopment plans for Felixstowe pier, set to open in 2014.
- Planning application for 127 homes in Felixstowe.
- British Energy and EDF are planning to build two new nuclear power units at Sizewell subject to the necessary approval and consent. An extensive consultation period has recently closed.
- Sizewell C held their first nuclear power station supply chain event, organised by EDF Energy, with over 200 businesses attending. The company aims to build 4 new nuclear reactors in the UK by 2025, with Sizewell C's building programme beginning in 2015 and costing around £6.64 billion. This will create huge job opportunities for local businesses.Follow this link for the latest information Sizewell .
- Felixstowe Futures is a major regeneration project that aims to renovate and improve the town of Felixstowe and the surrounding villages.
- Around 40% of the UK container trade is dealt with by The Port of Felixstowe and is expected to quadruple by 2030. The Felixstowe South project, which represents an investment of around £40m will increase capacity from 3.3 million standard containers to more than 5 million.
- Public consultation has begun into the proposal by Tesco to open a store in Abbey Road, Leiston. This could bring 200 new jobs to the area. Another store has received planning permission to be built in Saxmundham.
- 'Felixstowe - Great Days By The Sea' is the new marketing slogan featuring the sun and a seagull in the town colours of royal blue and gold. The re-branding has been put together by Felixstowe Chamber of Commerce and it is hoped it will increase investment and visitors to the seaside town.